Here is post on What is balanced diet and components for the SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, CDS, RRB and other UPSC exams. And we have also explained the components of the Balanced Diet.
WHAT IS BALANCED DIET AND COMPONENTS
What is Balanced Diet?
If all the above-mentioned components are present in perfect proportions and quantity for maintaining the body in the perfect and healthy state, then the food is called Balanced diet.
Components of the balanced Diet are – Carbohydrates, Fats, Proteins, Minerals, Vitamins, Water and Roughage
- The main 3 elements are Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen
- Requirement on Daily Basis – 500 gms ; 1 gm gives 17KJ of energy
- Sources of carbohydrates : -3 main cereals (wheat, rice, maize), sugarcane, milk, fruits, honey, beet
- The carbohydrates in food eaten are processed in the alimentary canal and liver are then are supplied to the tissues mainly as glucose; known as blood sugar
- Cellulose, starch and sugar are 3 types
- Structurally, carbohydrates are of three types : -Monosaccharides, Disaccharides and Polysaccharides
- Excess of carbohydrate is stored in the liver in the form of Glycogen
- Daily requirement – 50gms
- Provides twice the energy of carbohydrates
- Act as the reserve food material because exces fat is stored in the liver and as adipose tissue
- An enzyme called Lipase digests fats. It breaks down into fatty acids and glycerol
- Made up of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen
- For growth and repairmen, it is important
- Made up of amino acids
- Kwashiorkar and Marasmus are the diseases occur due to the deficiency of Protein
Vitamins : –
- Vitamins are necessary for growth, good vision and health, proper digestion of the body. They do not provide any energy to our body.
Vitamins can be divided in two categories: –
- Water soluble Vitamins :- Vitamin B-complex, Vitamin C
- Fat Soluble – Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
Water : –
- Important in digestion, transportation, excretion and to regulate body temperature
- Fibrous material present in the cell wall of plants
- Mainly contains cellulose
- It doesnot provide energy but only helps in retaining water in the body
- One of the common source is Daliya