IBPS, SBI and SSC exams consists of around 5 questions from Phrase Substitution. In phrase substitution questions you have to choose the best alternative from the options given. You must have good command on grammar to solve questions on PHRASE SUBSTITUTION.
Set 3 Phrase Substitution Questions for SSC CGL
In the following questions, a part of the sentence is printed in bold. Below, are given alternatives to the bold part at(1),(2),(3) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative.In case of no improvement is needed your answer is (4)
1. Obviously he isn’t cut up to be a good teacher.
2. Power got with money is the most craved for today.
3. The brown shirt wants washing.
A.has to wash
B.is in need of a wash
C.requires a wash
4. You are asked to copy this letter word by word.
A.word to word
B.word for word
C.word with word
5. The weak man is a slave to his sensuous pleasures.
6. To get into the building I’ll disguise as a reporter.
A.disguise to be
B.disguise as one
7. He denied that he had not forged my signature.
A.would not forge
C.did not forge
8. If I had played well, I would have won the match.
A.I played well
B.I play well
C.I am playing well
9. Since the records are missing the possibility of paying more than one compensation for the same piece of land cannot be ruled aside.
10. A callous system generates nothing but a misanthrope.
11. Who you said was coming to see me this morning?
A.you did say
B.did you say
C.did you say that
12. He is not only known for his wealthbut also for his learning.
A.not only known for his learning
B.only known for his wealth
C.known not only for his wealth
13. Owing to the close affinity of the architect and the builder, the project was completedahead of schedule.
14. The servant was disturbed as her son was now out of sight due to bad company.
A.out of bounds
B.out of control
C.out of reach
15. Whenever I doubtabout the meaning of a word, I look up my dictionary.
A.whenever I have a doubt
B.whenever I am in doubt
C.The moment I doubt
16. He behaves like coward.
B.in a cowardly manner
C.as if he was a coward
17. Neither of them went to the cinema.
A.Both of them did not go
B.Both didnot go
18. I used to have very thick hair.
A.use to have
B.used to having
C.used to had
19. They reached at Calcutta on Monday.
A.reached to Calcutta
B.reached on Calcutta
20. I did not saw my cousin in Madras.
B.did not see
C.did not seen