This set contains Phrase Replacement Questions for IBPS and SSC. In the English section, the question of phrase replacement/ the question having four alternatives can be asked and you have to choose the correct alternative. These questions can be asked in exams like IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, RRB, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, UPSC and other competitive exams.
Questions on Phrase Replacement
In the following questions, a part of the sentence is printed in bold. Below, are given alternatives to the bold part at(1),(2),(3) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case of no improvement is needed your answer is (4)
1. His life is hanging with a thread.
2. After twenty years of exile, the prisoner was inthe end of this tether.
3. Grandfather is often so tired that he drops— in his armchair.
4. The court was forced to respect the profundity of the learned judge’s knowledge.
5. He has losthis nearly all many pets.
A.all his nearly many pets
B.his many pets nearly all of them
C.nearly all his many pets
6. John is wearing his jacket as it is getting very cold.
7. I workedin this office since 2005.
C.have been working
8. The host offered me tea but I denied it.
9. Can any spiritually dead man be so as to have no love for his native country?
A.Can any dead man be so as to have no spiritual love for his native country?
B.Can any man be so spiritually dead as to have no love for his native country?
C.Can any native man be so dead as to have no love for his spiritual country?
10. How can anyone symphathize with you when what you say is hardly gullible?
11. A taller sikh rushed forward than any of his comrades.
A.A Sikh, taller than any of his comrades, rushed forward
B.A Sikh rushed forward taller than any of his comrades
C.A Sikh rushed forward than any of his comrades taller
12. An author in the reign of Queen Anne who was famous lived in a cottage.
A.An author in the reign, who was famous, of Queen Anne lived in a cottage
B.In the reign of Queen Anne, an author lived in a cottage, who was famous
C.An author who was famous in the reign of Queen Anne lived in a cottage
13. My uncle is enough rich to buy a car.
A.My uncle is rich enough to buy a car
B.My uncle is richer enough to by a car.
C.My uncle is enough richer to buy a car
14. Walking along the road, an old man ran over the lorry.
A.Walking along the road, an old man ran behind the lorry
B.Running along the road, the lorry ran over an old man
C.The lorry ran over an old man walking along the road
15. In the absence of your support, he would have lost the election.
A.Lacking your support, he would have lost the election
B.But for your support, he would have lost the election
C.He would have lost the election, if you had not supported him