Here is the complete list of Nobel Prize 2016 Winners. This post contains the note on Noble Prize and Nobel prize winners with the Indian connection.
The Nobel Prizes are prizes awarded annually by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Swedish Academy, the Karolinska Institute, and the Norwegian Nobel Committee to individuals and organizations who make outstanding contributions in the fields of chemistry, physics, literature, peace, and physiology or medicine, .
They were established by the 1895 will of Alfred Nobel, which dictates that the awards should be administered by the Nobel Foundation. The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences was established in 1968 by the Sveriges Riksbank, the central bank of Sweden, for contributions to the field of economics. Each recipient, or “laureate”, receives a gold medal, a diploma, and a sum of money, which is decided by the Nobel Foundation, yearly.
Nobel Prize Theory :
- Person who is nominated for the prize must be alive.
- The Nobel prize recipients are called laureates
- The laureates get medal, diploma, and 8-million Swedish kroner (SEK) = ~ $1.1 million
- All money for the prize (except Economics medal) is given by Dynamite inventor Alfred Nobel, Sweden.
- For Economics, it is given from Bank of Sweden, Riksbank
- The Nobel Peace Prize is given at Oslo,Norway where as the medals for Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature and Economics are given at Stockholm,Sweden.
- The Economics medal has no inscription on it. While the Peace medal has “for the peace and brotherhood of men” written on it.
- The Physics, Chemistry, Medicine medals have “And they who bettered life on earth by new found mastery” written on it.
LIST OF NOBEL PRIZE 2016 WINNERS
- In Physics 2016 – David J. Thouless, F. Duncan M. Haldane and J. Michael Kosterlitz
“for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter”
- In Chemistry 2016 – Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa
“for the design and synthesis of molecular machines”
- In Physiology or Medicine 2016 – Yoshinori Ohsumi
“for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy”
- In Literature 2016 – Bob Dylan
“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2016 – Juan Manuel Santos
“for his resolute efforts to bring the country’s more than 50-year-long civil war to an end”
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2016 – Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmström
“for their contributions to contract theory””
Nobel winners with Indian Connection
|1902||Ronald Ross, born in Almora. Malaria research||Medicine|
|1907||Rudyard Kipling, born in Mumbai||Literature|
|1930||Sir C.V. Raman||Physics|
|1968||Dr. Hargobind Khorana||Medicine|
|2001||VS Naipul (Trinidad and Tobago)||Literature|
|2007||Dr. RK Pachauri (with Al Gore) for climate change work||Peace|
|2009||Venkatraman “Venky” Ramakrishnan – Ribosome||Chemistry|
|2014||Kailash Satyarthi – Child rights activist||Peace|