Our country has a coastline of 7516.6 km which forms one of the biggest peninsulas in the world. There are 13 major ports, 200 under minor & intermediate ports.
The total 200 non-major ports are in the following States:- Gujarat (42); Maharashtra (48); Tamil Nadu (15); Karnataka (10); Kerala (17); Andhra Pradesh (12); Odisha (13); Goa (5); West Bengal (1); Daman and Diu (2); Lakshadweep (10); Pondicherry (2); and Andaman & Nicobar (23).
The maritime transport is managed by both the Central and the State governments.
The central government manages the major ports while the minor & intermediate ports are managed by the relevant departments or ministries in the nine coastal states. All major ports are managed by government except Ennore Port.
The coastal states are Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
State with longest coastline :- Gujarat
LIST OF MAJOR PORTS IN INDIA
|NAME OF THE PORT||STATE|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Port||Maharashtra|
|Port of Kolkata||Kolkata|
|Port Blair||Andaman Islands|
|Tuticorin Port Trust||Tamil Nadu|
|Visakhapatnam Port||Andhra Pradesh|
Some more about Ports :-
- Chennai port—Previously known as Madras Port, is the second largest port of India and the largest port in the Bay of Bengal.
- Ennore Port, officially renamed as Kamarajar Port Limited, Only port in India which is a public company.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port, known as Nhava Sheva, is the largest container port in India.
- Kandla Port or New Kandla it is one of major ports on west coast. Kandla was constructed as the main seaport in western India, after the partition of India from Pakistan left the port of Karachi in Pakistan.
- Cochin Port is one of the largest ports in India. The International Container Transshipment Terminal (ICTT), part of the Cochin Port, is the largest container transshipment facility in India.
- The Port of Kolkata is a riverine port in the city of Kolkata. It is the oldest operating port in India, and was constructed by the British East India Company
- Panambur is the site of sea port called New Mangalore Port
- Paradip Port is an artificial, deep-water port on the East coast of India in Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha.
- V.O.Chidambaranar Port, formerly Tuticorin Port. After Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project, V.O.C Port will be India’s premier port and one of the major ports of Asia equal to Port of Singapore. V.O.Chidambaram Port is an artificial port.
- Visakhapatnam Port is India’s second largest port by volume of cargo handled