IMPORTANT CURRENT AFFAIRS UPDATE 14th NOVEMBER 2015
Children’s Day observed across India on 14 November
Children’s Day was celebrated across the country on 14 November 2015. On this eve, the Ministry of Women and Child Development at the Union level and the child welfare departments at the state level organised plans aiming at child development
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of Children’s day presented National Child Awards to the children and the services of individuals and institutions working for the welfare of children
- The awards included National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement 2015, Rajiv Gandhi Manav Seva Award 2015 and National Award for Child Welfare 2014
- The 19th edition of biennial International Children’s film festival of India (ICFFI) popularly known as The Golden Elephant was inaugurated in Hyderabad. It will be held till 20 November 2015
World Pneumonia Day observed with the theme Every Breath Counts: Stop Pneumonia Now
On 12 November 2015, World Pneumonia Day was observed across the world. The theme for the year 2015 was Every Breath Counts: Stop Pneumonia Now
- On this day, special programmes were conducted to increase awareness of pneumonia, provoke prevention and treatment and promote action to fight the illness
- A special Pneumonia Innovations Summit was organized by the World Health Organisation (WHO) in New York to explore the plans to manage with it
2015 Valletta Summit on Migration held
The 2015 Valletta Summit on Migration was held for two days at the Mediterranean Conference Centre in Valletta, Malta
- It 65 heads of governments/high level policy makers from Europe and Africa, besides officials from the UN and various organizations of the European Union were present
- The summit, apart from approving a political declaration reaffirming commitment to solve the ongoing Mediterranean Migration Crisis; also recommended an Action Plan to deal with migration from Africa to Europe in a comprehensive manner
India, UK announced commercial deals worth 9 billion pounds
India and the UK declared commercial deals worth 9 billion pounds during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the UK
- Creative and retail
- Finance and professional services
- IT and cyber
Details of Commercial Deals
• Merlin Entertainments: It will open the first Madame Tussauds in New Delhi in 2017 and will likely invest 50 million pounds over 10 years to start Discovery Centre and Sea Life Aquarium.
• Apollo Hospitals: It united with Holland & Barrett International and will open 1000 Holland & Barrett outlets in India over the next 5 years. The first store will be opened in New Delhi in January 2016.
• Genus ABS will provide 1 million pounds in India producing the newest dairy genetics and constructing a state-of-the-art facility near Pune in Maharashtra.
TVS is starting a 20 million pounds improved logistics facility in Barnsley (the UK) initiating 100 new jobs.
• HDFC has declared to issue rupee denominated bonds overseas of likely 490 million pounds.
• Bharti Airtel Ltd announced that it aims to provide its maiden sterling bond of up to 500 million pounds to be indexed on the LSE (London Stock Exchange).
• Major UK-based insurance companies like Standard Life, Bupa and Aviva have nodded to invest a total of 238 million pounds approx. worth of FDI in their Indian joint ventures.
• London Stock Exchange Group and Yes Bank will sign a MoU to boost the bond and equity issuance, with a strong focus on green infrastructure finance.
• State Bank of India and London Stock Exchange Group have announced a merger to start the FTSE-SBI India Bonds Indices to be used by a new investment fund run by SBI.
• Zyfin and Sun Global announced that they would be listing the world’s first India fixed income exchange traded fund (ETF) on the London Stock Exchange and will give access to the Indian fixed income market.
• A MoU on technical co-operation in the rail sector was noddedd which will increase potential business opportunities for the rail industry. India will also release its first government-backed rupee bond (Railway Rupee Bond) in London to fund railway infrastructure development.
• Lightsource Renewable Energy Holdings will invest 2 billion pounds in India in designing, installing and managing around 3 gigawatts of solar power infrastructure in India.
• UK technology company Intelligent Energy is assisting an initial order of over 10000 hydrogen fuel cells, worth over 128 million pounds.
• UK-listed OPG Power Ventures plc will invest 2.9 billion pounds in India to create 4200 MW of new power capacity in India.
• Kloudpad Mobility Research will invest 100 million pounds generate the next generation of smart watches, wearables and tablets in South India.
• Vodafone will investment in India 1.3 billion pounds. The 100 million pounds will be used to create a payment bank aimed on serving the unbanked and under banked and to accelerate India’s journey towards a cashless economy.
• E-commerce cloud platform provider, CloudBuy, will sign a contract with the Confederation of Indian industry (CII) for an online business to business marketplace.
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Indo UK Healthcare Pvt Ltd will open King’s College Hospital in Chandigarh which, when fully implemented, would amount to a 1 billion pound investment into India’s healthcare system
• A collaboration between the British Council and TCS will provide chances to 1000 graduate interns from British universities to train and work in India.
• HSBC declared the launch a programme called Skills for Life initiative in India, to skill 75,000 disadvantaged young people and women over 5 years.
• Indian integrated learning solutions provider Dexler will set up Dexler Education UK, its European headquarters, with an investment of around 10 million pounds to provide corporate training, higher education.
RBI Governor Dr Raghuram Rajan elected as Vice-Chairman on BIS Board
Dr Raghuram Rajan, Governor of the RBI was appointed as the Vice-Chairman on the Board of Directors of BIS, becoming the first Indian to be selected to this position
- He will serve the BIS for three years and will help the Chairman of the BIS Board in his/her functioning
- Jens Weidmann, head of Bundesbank(German banking regulator) is the Chairman of the Board of Directors
- About Bank for International Settlements
• Instituted on 17 May 1930
• It is an international financial organisation.
• Its mission is to serve central banks providing monetary and financial stability, to foster international cooperation and to act as a bank for central banks.
• It has 60 member central banks around the world
• The head office is in Basel, Switzerland and with two representative offices: in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China and in Mexico City